With the cost of food steadily going up, some families are looking to start a vegetable garden. But where do you start. Here are some tips from the Old Farmer’s Almanac which can help.
- Pick the right location – usually a sunny site.
- Keep it close to home
- Only grown things your family like to eat
- Water needs to be readily available
- Good soil is the key to a successful garden
- Amend your soil – compost, leaf mold, or well-aged manure
- Seeds or plants – seeds can take up to 6 to 8 weeks before planting, so keep that in mind
- Choose varieties that will mature in your growing season
- Keep your garden productive by staggering plants
- Use raised garden beds or containers if you don’t have much space to work with
Want to find out more. Go here for additional information and obtain your own copy of the Garden Planner.
Source: Old Farmer’s Almanac