Skip to main content

Protecting your business from carbon monoxide poisoning

Winter carbon-monoxide called the “silent killer “is a result of poorly working furnaces or gas- powered equipment.  Having your furnaces checked annually by a qualified professional can certify that it is working properly with adequate ventilation.

According to Eric Spacek, AVP at Church Mutual Insurance, SI, organizations should be aware of the signs of CO so they can quickly resolve the situation:

  • Streaks of soot around fuel-burning appliances.
  • Excess moisture on windows, walls, or other cold surfaces.
  • Excessive rust on flue pipes, other pipe connections or appliance jacks.
  • Orange or yellow flames (should be blue) in the combustion appliances.
  • Small amounts of water leaking from the base of the chimney vent or flue pipe.
  • Damaged or discolored bricks at the top of the chimney.

If an employee suffers from CO poisoning in a building, the owner could be found legally liable.

Source: PropertyCasualty 360