Power outages are common following storms, and the recent events have left many people without power. Backup generators are incredibly useful, but they do come with risks.
If you are using a generator, you should:
- Properly ventilate to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poison
- Never use your generator indoor or outside near windows, vents, or air intakes
- Maintain plenty of space around the generator
- Buy a carbon monoxide detector
- Ground your generator
- Do not plug the generator into a wall outlet
- Check your state laws regarding generator ownership
Generators are great and useful, but just make sure you are keeping you and your family safe.